Capacity Building and Education
Path to Opportunity
TCG’S CAPACITY BUILDING AND EDUCATION PROGRAMS
The Cayemitte Group promotes the notion that education can provide MWBE business owners with the leg up they need to thrive. Our innovative solutions cut to the heart of what holds emerging contractors back: the lack of affordable access to capital, particularly within minority communities. We help firms to qualify to access capital and bonding, and as they qualify for capital, they become prepared for meaningful participation on public and large commercial projects.
David Cayemitte’s commitment to education led him to found the Minority Business Development Institute, a 501c3 non-profit that also provides education programs to build the capacity of minority, women and veteran-owned firms to grow and prosper. (Click here to learn more about MBDI’s mission.)
TCG Education Programs Snapshot
Our team has been conducting our 9-month keystone contractor capacity building programs since 2009. We have mentored over 450 business owners, working with agencies and community development organizations around the country.
Top 10 Take-Aways
- Improve financial presentation via a CPA forensic overview of internal accounting system and a restructure as needed.
- Gain a basic understanding of CPA financial statements and management reporting through rigorous classroom instruction.
- Small group sessions lend a framework for a budget and a Work in Progress Schedule to track projects.
- Classes and one-on-one consultations supply insight into the bonding process, the personal liability held by bonded contractors and what they need to qualify.
- Attorney-led classes address basic contract law concepts including understanding risks, what can and can’t be negotiated, navigating change orders, and getting paid.
- Gain understanding of what it means to perform a “Commercially Useful Function” and avoid MWBE fraud.
- Develop and vet marketing collateral including a one-page capabilities statement, elevator pitch and understanding of the value of using social media and websites to market your firm.
- Classes and consultations break down the estimating process.
- Benefit from an overview of best practices for project management from bidding through closeout.
- Develop action plans that provide a roadmap and outline of attainable goals for sustainable growth.
To learn more details about our capacity building and education programs, contact Liz Duncan-Gilmour at [email protected]. Begin your journey to opportunity and success.